TORNADO CANNON PATCH
(c) 1995 Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein
This patch requires TPATCHER.EXE Vers 1.0 or higher
What's this all about?
Many users of Tornado versions 1.0c - 1.0e have reported problems when
using a Soundblaster SB 16 sound card. Frequently, the computer locks up
after firing the cannon. The only known cure so known until now was to
switch to the ADLIB driver on the PREFERENCES Screen, but this resulted
in slightly less realistic sounds.
This is a beta test patch to correct the problem. It should work with the
following versions of Tornado:
European (DI) versions 1.0c, 1.0d, 10.e
American Versions 1.0c, 1.0d
And American Versions 1.0d patched with the European 1.0e patch.
It will not work with the Trimark Interactive 1.0e Edition of Tornado.
The reason for this is that in the Trimark release, Soundblaster support
was intentionally disabled internally (probably because of the SB16 problems).
1) copy all the files in the distribution archive of this patch to the main
Tornado directory. Of course, you have to run TDO from a hard disk because
otherwise it's difficult to patch files on a CD-ROM :)
2) make backup copies of all *.exe in the FLIGHT subdirectory. Remember, this
is just a beta test version
3) Run t_cannon.bat. This calls the T_PATCHER.EXE program that performs the
patch. The program will look into every file flight\ *.exe for cannon sounds.
If one is found, you can choose whether to install the original or one of
two patched sound. Using this menu, you will be able to undo the patch
by re-installing the original sound.
4) Keep your fingers crossed
5) Run Tornado and select SoundBlaster sound effects in the Preferences
6) if you get the "sound card not found" message, disable the turbo switch
after clicking on "Take off", then wait for a "click" and after that,
re-enable the turbo switch
7) Use the cannon!!!!!!!!!!!
The new cannon sound is quite ugly. If this should work to eliminate the
lock-up problem, better cannon sounds could be used. I'm working on this
and would like to hear users' feedback on this.